Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Reflections on Marketing: Social Media Marketing, Unique Value Proposition, Marketing Benefits vs. Features, and Selling Online by Stephanie Phillips

This weeks module on marketing was a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to learning about social media marketing the most and felt  it was informative. They explained how to use Facebook as a marketing tool and only briefly touched on the information. I was looking forward to learning about how to use other social media sources such as Twitter and Instagram but again, was disappointed in the amount of information given. I gained the most knowledge from the Unique Value Proposition module and the Selling Online module. It was interesting to learn how to take the most effective photos of your product you are selling. The activity was entertaining and helpful, however, I do not see how this will help me in the courses I teach in Dental Hygiene.

The one module that I can see myself using in my courses is the Unique Value Proposition module. I can apply some of the information I learned to the course I teach last semester of the program. In this course I teach interviewing skills and resume writing. It is so important that they can stand out from other dental hygienist in the field since the competition for employment is so high. I would like to create an activity similar to the one I completed in the module for them to try during that semester course. This may help them identify any UVP they have.

Since the completion of the module I have discussed the possibility of creating a Facebook page for our program with other faculty members. After doing a little research, I have found that many other Dental Hygiene programs have created a page to help recruit students. A unique feature it has is the ability to use "tag" words such as "dental hygiene", "college student", etc to target our audience. I think the value in using social media is high. You can reach so many people with very little time and expense.

4 comments:

  1. We created a Facebook page for the NEST located in the library and it is awesome. My student volunteers maintain it and the NEST Manager has created a clickable calendar to help us manage the 3D Printer, Video Game Consoles, and Spheros. My volunteers also link interesting articles and picture of people in the NEST. If you haven't been to the NEST yet you should come by and check it out. Also if you would like our page on Facebook that would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We created a Facebook page for the NEST located in the library and it is awesome. My student volunteers maintain it and the NEST Manager has created a clickable calendar to help us manage the 3D Printer, Video Game Consoles, and Spheros. My volunteers also link interesting articles and picture of people in the NEST. If you haven't been to the NEST yet you should come by and check it out. Also if you would like our page on Facebook that would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I wish you would do a staff development on designing Facebook pages for programs here at ATC. I think that would be very beneficial and would be well-attended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark,
    I agree with Jackie. I would like to have a staff development on this! Sounds very intersting. Thanks for you input.

    ReplyDelete