Monday, October 5, 2015

BeachBrenda_Week 5_Communication: Professionalism in Email

I completed the professional email segment in this Communication module.  More than anything else, I wanted to see what issues HP has identified as the roadblocks to effective email communication. As I was working through the exercises, it occurred to me that this segment is definitely not designed for people with advanced degrees or for people who entered the professional world before emoticons, texting slang, and being overly familiar with business contacts was standard procedure among many people who are trying to start out on a career path.

It just occurred to me –I’m a slow learner—that what we’re actually supposed to do after this five week boot camp is develop a single lesson using the information we’ve gained. I was all set to develop an entire course with segments related to each of the modules I completed. Ha! As if I could do that in the time between now and next week. So, what I think I am going to do is focus on this email professionalism segment, because I have noticed that many of my ATC students could use a little coaching.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely take an email less seriously when the student writes a message without a single complete sentence. It is clear that they just started typing, said good enough, and clicked send without another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great idea, Brenda. One of my advisory committee members is an HR manager and she asked me to please teach people how to write e-mails and memos. Even their managers can't write a coherent e-mail, and they have a luxury resort property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me throw in my two cents! Misspelling, slang, incomplete sentences, etc. have become a problem in digital communication. The current media code, (LMAO, LOL, etc) was prompted by a need to convey a message using abbreviated words/phrases. This style has quickly taken hold and is becoming more and more the rule rather than the exception. It is imperative that we impress on our students that emails, social media comments, and texting are all evaluated by the business community. An increasing number of employers, especially in the public safety field, are requiring access to the social media accounts of their potential employees.

    I had this conversation last week in my class. I had several students think that by deleting the contents from their accounts they have, in essence, removed the data from existence. This led to a discussion on the old party-lines... but I digress. LOL

    ReplyDelete